Monday, November 3, 2014

Wedding crafting

I first started really getting into crafting for my wedding, I wanted to give my bridesmaids each a nice, personal gift. I didn't like many of the options available online, I found they were either too expensive or too cookie cutter. So, I decided to make my own! I spent hours on pinterest searching for inspiration and easy fun things I could make.  I decided to sew a cute makeup bag and a customized tote bag for each bridesmaid so that they could put all the other little things I gave them that I thought they may need on the day of my wedding. 










The first item I tackled was the tote bag. The project was simple enough I used a combination of 2 techniques (1 & 2 you can decided which one you prefer, I liked using a stencil for the letters because I don't have a steady hand for painting)










Each small tote bag has the bridesmaid's initial on it. Rather than buying a stencil for the letters, I found a font I liked and printed out each of the letters the size I wanted. Then, this is the long part, I cut each letter out leaving the white paper intact that became my stencil. I reinforced the A's with tape since there wasn't much holding the bar together. For an extra touch for my maid of honour, I added an extra ring on the top left corner of the "G" bag. The bags have been a success and they are still in use today!

The next project was a lot more labour intensive, but absolutely worth it! I made these awesome little bags.  The pattern is available here, it is so easy to use and makes the process enjoyable. 






I chose an individual colour for each bridesmaid that I thought matched their personality. To make them all feel like they are part of a set, I used the same fabric for the top band. It is fabric that comes from a dress I wore to my bachelor graduation, I thought it was nice symbolically. I also chose zippers that went well with the bag as a whole. The primarily yellow bag is mine, I inverted the colours to differentiate them.











After a few hours of sewing and crafting each bridesmaid's tote bag contained an eye mask, kleenex, tic-tacs, hair ties, bobby pins, manicure kit, safety pins and make up bag

No comments:

Post a Comment